Thursday, May 7, 2009

Still Climbing Mountains


Thirty-five years ago today, on a Tuesday evening at 6:30pm, Wendell A. Nickerson walked down the aisle in a dashing, white tux and agreed to take me as his -- for better or worse until death do us part. My sister, Martha, was thirteen at the time. She was so shy she could barely speak to a stranger, yet she stood in front of more than 300 people and belted out, "Climb Every Mountain."

If we had known how steep some of those mountains would be, I'm pretty sure we'd have run screaming out the door instead of smiling for the camera and saying, "I do."


And we would have missed some of the most breathtaking moments in life.

The climb has not always been easy. Nor pleasant. But the view from the top has always been worth those moments of terror when we were pretty sure the rope was going to break and we would plumet to our deaths, crushed on the rocks below.

Instead, we tightened our grip on God, one another, and our faithful family and friends, and we kept climbing. We were determined to reach the top of every summit, as the song says, until we found our dream.

We are still dreaming together, and the whole thing has been a grand adventure so far. So, today, I raise a toast of iced tea to my hubby and say, "Thanks for being brave and strong and for never giving up even when it was hard. And thanks for not sending me back to my mother even when I was a pill."

Love,
me

10 comments:

  1. iced tea? At 5:00 AM? :-)

    What a beautiful testimony to covenant marriage in God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, the iced tea will be later in the day. And he will probably have Diet Sierra Mist while I have iced tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "And thanks for not sending me back to my mother even when I was a pill." I'm going to use that one in my next anniversary card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy,joyful day to you! Congratulations! :)

    - the Colorado cousins

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Dad's HAIR! : ) I love it. And, a Tuesday night? How did I not know this strange fact. Who gets married on a Tuesday? : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felic, your dad's hair was actually pretty short in this picture. :) and the Tuesday night thing was because of the senior trip. My classmates were leaving for Florida Wed. morning for a week, and I didn't want to go. So, my mom suggested we get married Tues. evening and go on our honeymoon while the seniors were on their trip. Voila!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to set the record straight, she is the one who put up with the pill. She is the most patient and loving person I have ever known and I am the one richer for our lives together. Here's to many more years together, maybe you will get a mature ,grownup, husband eventually. If you don't, it will not be your fault. I love you more now than ever, Hub

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Wendell and Kathy! I have to laugh at the white tux -- having gotten married the same year, Don wore the same "look".

    I think I've watched you climb a few of those mountains and you've both been brave and strong and never given up! I'm proud to know you both and grateful to call you friends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love this post... AND the picture!! There is nothing quite as freeing as the realization that the hard times have been an integral part of your life every bit as much as the joyful times. I never cease to be amazed by how it all works together so beautifully to make us who we are!
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete