Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Is it Working?

I bought new make-up last week. It's specifically formulated for old-lady skin. That isn't what it says, of course. The label refers to it as "ageless" and Ellen acts all spunky when she advertises it on t.v. But you can't get past the point: this make-up is designed to work with wrinkles!

Skin, of course, is only one of the things that changes dramatically once we become grandmothers. I think there should be a film strip for that somewhere. The kind they screen in a darkened room after all the boys have been sent to the gym. 

In this particular cycle of life, we get little warning. And the amount of creams, potions, and extracts needed to prevent our bodies from shriveling up like an Egyptian mummy is mind-boggling. So, I bought new make-up. And hand lotion. And an extra bottle of moisturizer. And a lighted, magnified, make-up mirror.

I spent an extra half-hour putting it all on, watching to see if it really did "glide above the wrinkles" instead of sinking in as promised. I can't really tell, because my eyes aren't that good even with the magnified mirror. But, I don't think any of it will make much difference. Nobody is going to be fooled into thinking I'm ageless. I am obviously seasoned. And, fortunately for me, the man I married still likes me that way.


6 comments:

  1. You are beautiful just the way you are Kathy! The love of Jesus shines through you and your laugh lines! You reflect His face through your smile and it shows that the joy of the Lord truly is your strength!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I love that you can't tell if the age-defying make-up is working because you can't SEE! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always say I'm going to "age gracefully"...which in my vernacular means I don't plan to do anything to stop the natural course of aging. I just hope as my red hair starts to go silver that it doesn't look pink like my Dad's hair did. :-) All the silver and red mixed together just looks pink to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most beautiful 70-yr-old woman I ever saw (she was on Oprah) said that moisturizer was the key. Moisturize, moisturize, every single day. So I'm sure what you bought actually will make a difference. (And I am an advertiser's dream).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't laugh Felicity, someday you too will need a magnifying mirror.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say ditch the magnifying mirror and be glad you can't see that well. Those wrinkles just fade away! When I saw the lady on T.V. who had a face transplant recently because her husband shot her in the face, I thought, I am glad I have my wrinkled face that works so well to smile and frown!

    ReplyDelete