Monday, April 20, 2009

Peeps and Posse

Networking is an interesting word. A network ties together a group of computers making this conversation possible in the first place. Insurance companies use networks to decide how they are going to pay various doctors. You get paid better if you are "in network." Today, I was grateful people like Blue Cross and Humana consider Calvary Medical Center among their peeps. We got some checks in the mail.

On the other hand, a network can be something like a spider web. "I'll tie myself to you in some cyber-savvy way and you tie yourself to me so one of us can lure in the innocent fly we want to profit from." I'm sure it is never that bad. But I find myself asking these days whether I want to be a Facebook friend because I really want to know what the other person had for lunch or if it is because I think the other person can do me some kind of favor that will help me buy some lunch.

At our recent conference, we talked about the difference between our peeps, whom we probably only know in the virtual world, and our posse whom we could call up at a moment's notice when we need to go round up some bad guys. Or move some furniture.

The interesting thing is this: If you spend enough virtual time with your peeps, some of them actually become your posse. They may be too far away to help you move the sofa down three flights of stairs. But they are certainly close enough to pray when you lose the job that necessitates that move.

That is the kind of network I want to weave.

4 comments:

  1. I've thought of this sooo much in having a blog, and now on face book. What kind of relationship do I REALLY have with someone via the internet?
    I have read letters written years ago over great distances by friends who eventually became my grandparents. Something in that communication, and verbage altered and changed their relationship from friendship to spouseship. It shows me the power of words, and the fact that how we use them should not be flipant, but perhaps with more thought. I am seeing this first hand in reading you and Serenity, and Felecity's blogs. Simply by reading the thoughts you are willing to share, I'm getting to know you all so much better, and in time when the crises's come, and moments of joy, I'll be dancing, and crying along with you. Look what comfort I received from you when Mother died, a friend of distance, via internet, can be just as comforting as a friend at my door, especially when I know your praying, which I knew you were :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea's so sweet. I, on the other hand, was thinking of changing my facebook status to say, "I just want you for my platform." :)

    What she says is weighty too. With a blog, we pick and choose what people know about us. That's an interesting responsibility. I started the blogging thing before I really had any idea that one purpose of it would be to build up the peeps list. By the time I figured that out, I was just having fun [cyber]meeting new people. I like building that so-called platform even if it never gets big enough for a book deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had conversations with one of my son's regarding this idea. He always says, "Mom, Facebook friendships aren't real because you can say whatever you want, but real friendships are when people actually are a part of your life."

    In some ways he's right, but in other ways he's not. Like Andrea eloquently stated, words carry power, and as we read each others words, we gain insight into our lives. The same can be true with other mediums like FB. I love the way you said it Kathy, "if you spend enough virtual time with your peeps, some of them actually become your posse." Great thought! I believe it's true, because I've just begun to experience it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to some of my best peeps for you great comments :)

    ReplyDelete