Thursday, April 9, 2009

Bread and Wine

I'm not actually having either of those things tonight. But I have a strange desire to turn on the Sabbath Prayer scene from Fiddler on the Roof, light some candles, drink some grape juice and pretend for just a few minutes that I'm living in that culture. That I'm sitting around a campfire somewhere in ancient Jerusalem listening to the Passover prayers.

When I was a child, my grandfather preached a message one Sunday on the significance of the first Passover. I remember being enthralled by the story of slavery and deliverance. And I remember being a little frightened by the image of the Death Angel that rose up and waved around in my mind. Then, he talked in great detail about the way the Hebrew fathers applied the blood of the lamb to their door posts. In my always vivid imagination, I saw that old Death Angel swoop down over the house with his sword drawn. But, in the last second, he saw the blood and veered away. I could almost hear the swoosh as his long, grey garment swept the roof of the house.

Tonight, I want to remember that scene again. And I want to flash forward to the Passover meal where the Lamb of God sat with his friends for a final meal. I want to hear him talk about the new covenant, the one sealed with His blood and demonstrated by our love. And I want to thank Him again for being the sacrifice that keeps the Death Angel away from my door every day.

5 comments:

  1. We observed the memorial of christ's death as well tonight.

    It's kind of strange to see people update their facebook with "I'm going drinkin' tonight!" because they have no idea what Nisan 14 is or represents.

    Have a good night! By the way, love your blog! I found Serenity's blog (don't remember how) and then saw her post about your blog debut...that is where I came from...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny - I posted a Dolly Parton video in honor of Good Friday! : ) But our sentiments are not so different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this. The Old Testament is so full of treasure that makes Jesus make so much more sense. I hate the story of the death angel. I hate the though of all those mothers suffering for Pharaoh's hard heart. It breaks mine to pieces to think I serve a God capable of that. But it does turn me immediately to Jesus and feel so grateful that he is our blood on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by, Purple Clover. And, Felic, I love the Dolly Parton song. Seren, I just ordered Mark Littleton's book The Big Bad God of the Bible. I think he deals with issues like the Death Angel.

    ReplyDelete