Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Alternate Endings

When I was fifteen, a boy broke my heart. If this were not my first ever blog post, I would now insert a little, blue link to an entry called Death to Dating. But I'll spare you my philosophy on that for now. I mourned my loss for an appropriate length of time. Then I discovered an amazing balm. I rewrote the story. I sat down one teary afternoon with a yellow legal pad and a black Bic pen, and I turned the whole saga into my first piece of fiction, wherein the girl gets the guy and he ultimately gives her the world.

And, thus, I became a writer. Writing is dangerous business. If I spout off some craziness in my own living room, or even shout it on a city block, few people will be bothered. They will soon forget what I said, if they even heard it in the first place. If I write something I later regret, I can never take it back. Years later people can say, "Oh yeah. You are that lady who thought..." (Just fill in the blank. I'm not taking any risks today.)

So, I enter Blog World with some trepidation. I've enjoyed my identity as Occasional Commentator on several other blogs. Authorship brings a whole other realm of responsibility. I'll do my best to add something useful and positive to the cyber-conversations. If you stop by again, you will learn I'm a generally positive person. I'm a direct descendent of The Nicest Lady in the World, also known as my mother, and I generally believe in happy endings whether I write them or not.

According to Thoreau, it is vain "to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live." That makes sense to me. Unfortunately, some people have lived truly terrible lives and have then sat down to write dark, despairing stories as a result. For some reason, those stories are often counted as great literature while stories about honor, purity, and right living are considered less important or even frivolous. As I enjoy my sixth decade on this lovely, little planet, I find I prefer the latter. Maybe I'm simply naive or too simplistic in my worldview. But I prefer to drink from the glass half-full.

I probably tend toward this view because my own life has gone this way. Despite the foolishness of my own heart, God has captured me. I've still had my share of heartaches along the way, but together with my husband, our children, our grandchildren, and a host of family members and friends I am caught up in what author Ernest Gentile calls The Magnificent Obsession of knowing God through His Son, Jesus Christ. And this is the true source of my tendency toward happy endings. As my husband likes to point out, "I've read the end of the Book. We win."




Here is the guy who ultimately gave me the world surrounded by several of the shining stars in our universe.

21 comments:

  1. I LOVE the name of you blog . . and I love the story of how you began to write! I never knew that about you!

    It's so wonderful to know I can come here, read what you've written, and enjoy your happy endings!

    Thanks for taking the plunge! We are the beneficiaries I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Mom! You are SO going to be a blog addict. It is seriously as good as Diet Coke some days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know the boy story either. And I'm so happy you've taken the plunge! The world is going to be terribly lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're bookmarked. Now I can read more than just once a week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sixth decade?! Surely you jest! :) Wonderful first entry. I have bookmarked you also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the happy endings, too! In my family I'm the one who is known to completely rewrite the endings of movies in my head if I don't like the way they turn out!
    So glad you took the plunge into blog-world!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy! What a WONDERFUL thing to wake up to this morning, Mercy Street indeed. As I've always known (and voiced I believe) I KNOW where your daughters get their "gifts" from. Thanks for sharing your story (ies), from another fan and bookmarker of your blog!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Now bloggerville is getting seriously faith-filled. I don't know much about bookmarking, but I will not miss one of your bon mots while I have an internet connection. By the way, you really do live on Mercy Street, in Bethel, don't you? Was that your choice when your community was laid out, or was that serendipity or God's sovereignty?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the Blogosphere Kathy! Now if the rest of your family would just do the same.... Seiously, I very much enjoy being able to hear the words spoken by the author when I read them.
    Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everybody. I'm overwhelmed by your responses, of course. And humbled and challenged. I hope I can live up to these lofty expectations! And, Paul, it is total serendipity, which I like to think of as the same thing as God's sovereignty, that we live on Mercy Street. That is one reason I chose the name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. FINALLY!!
    I have always found you to be one of the most positive and uplifting people I know, and that I am going to have a peek into your thoughts on this blog is soooooo encouraging to me. I'm thankful..........

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! Yay for all of us who get to read you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mama Kathy, it was very difficult to be separated from you several years ago seeing how you are so intimately a part of who I am today. I am beyond thrilled to once again sit at your table and hear your thoughts and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sarah, you are too sweet. And you are always welcome at our table.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's funny how at the age of 36, and an adult myself, I still feel I should call you Mrs. Nickerson and hestitate to call you by your first name. Not sure if you'll remember me from my picture, but I went to school with Serenity (I am a few years older). My Dad was Virgil McKenzie and my Mom was Alma Ferne, and your husband was our Doctor there in Edina for many years.

    Welcome to the world of blogging, and I sincerely look forward to seeing your contributions. I'm trying to stay motivated to do some writing myself, and Serenity's blog has been a big inspiration. I'm sure I'll find even more inspiration here as well!

    In Him,
    Carol McKenzie York

    ReplyDelete
  17. I adore Serenity and her blog, and am so excited to see her Mom sharing her amazing writing as well!!! Welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is good to hear from you, Carol. We really enjoyed our years in Edina and still drop in their fairly often. I'm glad you are writing. Keep it up! And you are free to call me by my first name if you want :)

    To everyone else: Thanks again for the enthusiastic welcome. I'm blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! You go, girl. You know I am still your biggest fan. Confidentially yours, of course:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad you have started your own blog. I was going to email my mom the link when I read Serenity's proud announcement, but I see she was in the know before me! I think you might be the most popular blogger I know! You have record setting comments for your first post. I'll be reading:)

    ReplyDelete