Thursday, June 11, 2009

Hats Off to the Techies

Sometimes I forget how spoiled I am. We live in a community blessed by tremendously talented techie guys. I lean on them daily and obviously take them for granted. This week Wendell and I went to a little gathering of friends who are leaders of several similar churches here in the Midwest. We've known many of these folks for decades, and we love being together. One of the key leaders among this group couldn't come to Omaha, though, so we had the bright idea to bring him in through a video link on the computer.

Problem was, none of us really knew how to do that. We're pretty good at Google Video Chat or Skype conference call. But stretch us to one more cable connection to get Doug on the big screen, and we were stumped. We took turns leaning over the computer screen and talking into the microphone so Doug could be in on conversations.

I was shocked. I'm so accustomed to hitting the "spark" button on my desktop and connecting with one of our guys just about any time of the day or night. Then I say something like, "Can you get my laptop to fly to the moon, bring back some stardust, and dance on my desktop before lunch time today?" And they do.

So, here's to the techie guys. My hat is off. My hands are clapping. And my ipod is reminding me to NEVER travel without one of you!!!!

4 comments:

  1. My techie husband probably deserves half my English degree for all the times he's helped me submit assignments or utilize software. He's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So FUNNY, the description of what you ask the tekkie guys to do, and then they actually accomplish it. I stand regularly in awe of your tekkie guys as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I too give them a standing ovation. One of them even comes into my computer from there in Heartland and helps me fix or figure things out. Now if they could just be transported back and forth from there to here anytime we needed techie help that would be even better.

    "Beam me up Scottie"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jared has once again saved my life from far away since I have been at this conference. He is a genius, I tell you!

    ReplyDelete